Samuel Machiridza

Sam studied the Access to H.E. Youth and Social Work Diploma at Petroc College

Biography

Why did you choose to study at Petroc?  

It was convenient for me, with no travel costs and Petroc offered a pathway to the degree programme that I wanted to do.

What made you pick this particular study programme/course?

This course opened up a lot of opportunities for me as I could choose from a range of degree programmes I want to do. I chose a degree in Social Work but I could have opted for a Youth Work degree at a local university instead.

What have been the highlights ?

The highlight for me was not only gaining confidence in myself, but also achieving grades that I thought were beyond me. I’ve also met a group of lovely people - most of us have become very good friends.

What did you most enjoy about studying the course at Petroc?

Meeting like-minded people with the same goals as me and the togetherness of the group, that is, how we help and push each other to achieve our goals.

What do you plan to do when you leave college? 

I am going to do a degree in Social Work at UWE.

What’s the long-term plan? 

I intend to become a fully qualified and registered Social Worker.

Any advice for someone thinking of choosing the same course as you? 

Don’t just think about it or leave it until next year, now is the time to take the opportunity. Also when you start this course, remember that organisation and time management are very important. Don’t leave things until the last minute and, if you have any problems, don’t hesitate to speak to the tutors, who are always really helpful and supportive.